17 in stock
ISBN 978 1 77584 761 8
This is a 383 paged soft- cover book.
The genus Gladiolus has fascinated plant collectors, taxonomists and the general public
for centuries. Known for their spectacular flowers, these highly adapted and specialised
plants occur throughout Africa, Madagascar, Europe and the Middle East. South Africa
is home to more than half of the world’s Gladiolus species and the Western Cape is the
heart of species diversity.
Saunders’ Field Guide to Gladioli of South Africa is the first of its kind to offer a complete
photographic record of the 166 species that occur in the region. Posthumously completed, this
book is the culmination of the Saunders’ long search to find and photograph every known
species of Gladiolus in South Africa. It includes:
• An introduction comprising a brief history of gladioli, information about the
morphology and taxonomy of the genus, and guidelines for use in the field.
• Detailed descriptions of the main floral parts of each species, along with information
about ecology, pollinators, similar species and conservation status; field notes were
written by Rachel Saunders.
• Over 1,000 exquisite photographs taken in situ detailing morphology and habitat.
• Up-to-date distribution maps indicating where species have been recorded.
• A glossary of terms with illustrations unpacking difficult terminology.
A coveted record of the life’s work of a couple
who contributed to botany and horticulture in South Africa;
it will be treasured by anyone with an interest in these magnificent flowers
You are browsing our shop from South Africa.
All prices are exclusive of VAT.
All prices are in USD.
All prices are in GBP.